Wednesday 19 January 2011

Somerset Vintage Finds


I just spent a wonderful weekend visiting my friend Amy (who has just started her own cute blog) in her newfound home - Bath. Amy has been waxing lyrical about all the gorgeous boutiques and cafes in her new city and having spent a weekend there I was totally sold on this fabulous city. Bath itself has a few vintage gems, but the real highlight for me was the small-but-perfectly-formed town of Frome, about 15 minutes drive down the road. 
I’m not sure why (answers on a postcard please!) but Frome has developed something of a vintage scene in recent years, all centered around one very steep cobbled street - Catherine Hill. It’s lined with independent boutiques and vintage sellers, and hosts its own monthly artisan market in the summer with a mix of vintage treasures, local food and handmade goods (held on the first Sunday of the month, April-October). 
Here’s my pick of the best boutiques (there’ll be more on Bath in my next post).....

Beautifully styled new boutique Holly Anna at no. 9 has to be top of the list for its gorgeous mix of vintage and vintage-inspired homewares, gifts, kids' stuff and jewellery. The owner is a graphic designer and makes his own colourful wall stickers (love the butterfly-shaped blackboard vinyls that children can draw on). I could have bought everything in there!









For vintage finds, Make and Mend is stuffed full of great vintage clothing and furniture - I loved the old-fashioned toys and found myself wistfully gazing at the vintage wedding dresses and longing to do that all over again (oh and longing for the return of my waist!). 







Crowman at no. 27 is a great little antiques shop with some gorgeous furniture, kitsch crockery and its own homemade jams.



Finally Millie Moon is a fabulous haberdashery and sewing school, with a wonderful selection of retro-inspired fabrics, buttons and ribbons in every colour, all lovingly displayed to entice you to get crafty.










1 comment:

  1. Great piece on Frome - keen to quote bits from it in an article I'm writing in vintage and recycled fashion in Somerset, so could you contact me? Thanks: Nick Cater, Senior Communications Officer, Somerset Waste Partnership 01823 625714 nicholas.cater@somersetwaste.gov.uk

    ReplyDelete