Wednesday 10 February 2010

Homemade vintage wedding favours

My ideal Sunday in London begins with a walk down to Columbia Road flower market for fried eggs with sage (they come to the table in their own mini pan) and Sourdough toast at the lovely Leila’s Shop on Calvert Avenue, followed by a bit of bartering over some Geraniums, and then a long and leisurely peruse of all the gorgeous boutiques that now line the street.

My current favourite is the aptly named Vintage Heaven – crammed with crockery, kitchenware and 50s fabrics. I recently picked up a whole pile of squares of chintzy fabrics that never quite made it as cushions..

I thought I’d try my best to do my own version of this pretty lavender heart I found at The Old Stables just outside Holt in Norfolk – an amazing antiques emporium in the grounds of the beautiful Bayfield Hall.


So I ordered some dried lavender from Ebay, made a heart-shaped template out of newspaper, dusted down my sewing machine and here’s the result… a possible idea for wedding favours?


Elspeth Thompson’s gorgeous book Homemade is great for more crafty ideas like this - she has done some cute handpainted "Lavender Cats" that are pictured below:


3 comments:

  1. sweet! I would love to receive one of those as a wedding favour.

    And Columbia Rd is one of my absolute Sunday faves, there really is nowhere else like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there again yesterday and had the most delicious homecooked Italian lunch and a glass of red at Campania - would thoroughly recommend!
    http://columbiaroad.info/shops_3.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first time i visit here. I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one having all the enjoyment here keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete